5 days ago I travelled to my dearly loved Texas.
Delayed flights meant that my head hit the soft pillow on my lil bro's guest bedroom daybed around 3am my time. Morning in Temple meant donuts, coffee, and guaranteed good conversation, all in our pj's around the tall table made for tall people at Mark and Emily's casa.
4 hours later I found myself driving up the long, tree-lined (and one tree IN the road) street towards the house my family moved into in 92. Ahhh, it always feels so good to open the door and recognize the smell of home that brings back millions of good memories but then get the pleasant reminder that Mom and I totally re-decorated several rooms in the house on a dime back in December and it's so cozy and smokin' with style. Dad and I milled through my belongings stacked in the barn, after which I decide that I didn't really need any of that stuff in TN and moved on to the tour of the restructured and freshly planted mack daddy garden out back. More good times followed.
Another 4 hour drive landed me in the city that my heart has always belonged to. Arriving just in time to be late to evening church I sat alone in the dark at the back of the front section. I could not believe that I only recognized about 5 people in the entire sanctuary! So weird!...it's only been 8 months yo! A b-day party at a household full of Brazilians speaking Portuguese and me thus smiling from ear to ear and thinking that it couldn't possibly get much better, was followed by a day of one on one conversations with many favorite gal friends, though not all :(, including tears and belly laughs! My, my, it was just wonderful! My best bud Aims introduced me to "Corner Bakery" and I almost decided to forget the hole TN thang and stay in that booth forever, but alas, all good things must come to an end.
A wrong turn on the route out of Texas landed me in another best friends town, so I called her up and we had a great talk about "church", "loving", and "Christ" at good ole Subway. She and I grew up the same way in the same church, nearly lost our friendship over theological differences a few years ago, but chose to love and continue our friendship with Christ as the center, and now (surprise!) see quite eye to eye on matters of faith, grace, and charity.
Lunch on day two (today) was with Uncle Webb and Aunt Peggy in Memphis, TN. I ate up their words as they told me a little about their journey's when they were my age and in a similar season of life. I really must spend more time with them...learning about their journeys with Christ, and even the details of their love story. Family is becoming so much more important to me (which I didn't know was possible).
Thanks to Cracker Barrel I spent the day listening to a book on CD that is actually by a Christian author, and about all of the life situations that several young Christian (and not yet Christian) singles at a Pres. church find themselves in. I find it to be an interestingly relevant book to have found within a very small selection of books at that location. It's specific parallels to my life are almost erie...so I thank God for the food for thought.
I drove the last few hours of my trip without really noticing I was so close to home (the story was getting really good) and ahhh, at last I was on the stretch of road that tells me I'm almost home. Alcoa highway is locally referred to as "I'll kill ya highway" because it is full speed, yet lined with millions of fast food restaurants on the right and airplanes landing one after another on the left. Often times when I'm driving to or from work I have a big metal boat hanging right over my car for what seems like forever. It's so awe inspiring every time the timing is just so and it's a really bad combination for driving 70 (which means 80-90 for most folks these days) with lots of people slamming on their breaks to get fast food or take a gander at the planes landing.
At last I'd arrived to my 3rd home for the week and was pleased to discover that the kids were up past their bedtime because I hadn't seen them in days! My parents are also here since baby #4 is being induced tomorrow morning. What a trip! What a blessing to have dear, fellow sojourners in so many places. How thankful I am for the grace to be thankful during my time without a true home of my own. May the Lord use every uncertainty of my current season to show Himself off in all His splendor! I look forward to the trip!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment